Ready to make your own?
1/2 yard stretchy lightweight knit fabric
1/8 yard contrasting fabric of similar weight
colored thread to match
Note: I am making a size 2T dress, adjust your sizing accordingly. Also sorry in advance about the photos - I got up very early this morning to make this dress with interruption. It was dark and the flash was too bright on almost every time.
1. Prepare to cut out the pattern pieces by first pressing your material at the correct temperature setting to remove all the crinkles and creases.
2. Cut out the following pieces from your large piece of material to form the dress:
(2) 12" x 18" rectangles (measure your gal for the shorter length- the lower band should fall above the knee for maximum ease of movement) for body
(1) 5" x 36" strip for bow
1 front pattern
1 back pattern (download them both here)
(1) 3.5"x7" for the bow center
(1) 2.5" x 60" strip for bias tape (you can sew the mateial together to come up with the length)
(2) 4.5" x 12" strips for lower hem
4. Make your bias tape - I have a step by step here but there is a much, much better one here. If you really don't want to do the work, store bought will get the job done too.
5. Next take the strips for the lower hem. Press each long side back 1/2 inch and then press in half. The ironing segment of this tutorial is now complete!
Remember when the cast of Gossip Girl starting casually drinking Dr Pepper on every episode? In case you were wondering, they're not a sponsor. :)