January 5, 2012

Be Present

(Source)

Be present. That's my resolution; my one little word for 2012.

Last year was a great year - lots of good times, lots of hard work. But it flew by and was over way too fast.

More often then I'd like to admit, I found myself running on auto-pilot, totally unaware of a conversation I just had with my husband or one of the kids even though I could hear the words coming out of my mouth. Unable to recall the events or meals served just days earlier, because even though I was the one initiating or preparing, I just wasn't focusing on; wasn't savoring the moments of our days. Do you know what I'm talking about?

There is only so much time in a day but somehow I always manage to pack in way more than there needs to be. In my defense, I can't stand being idle (except vegging out on the couch for the occasional TV marathon) or not being productive. So this year, I am narrowing down my to-do list and will be changing the way I scrapbook.

Because really, I don't need over 2 albums full of layouts for a single year. That's just silly.

So many people are doing Project Life this year but that just seems overwhelming even though the idea is a really good one. I think I'll try a sort of Project 12 with 12x12 divided page protectors and then a couple traditional 8 1/2" x 11" layouts in the middle because it so fun to make something pretty. The little day to day stuff will be there with a few highlighted occasions too. We'll see.

And my garden will be enormous this year. I was so mad at myself for not planting one last year and am reminded by the whole family every time we have store bought pasta sauce. We might get another pig, will definitely be getting a goat (purely for entertainment) and I would simple be in heaven if we could make room for a few chickens as well.

Maybe I'm just feeling so dreamy today because it's 60 degrees in January. Doing outside chores are not nearly as invigorating in the freezing cold - or the sweltering heat for that matter.

So again self - remember to be present. And quality over quantity. That's all.

2 comments:

jamie long said...

All good things! I too will paring down the amount of scrapping I do to a project 12 ish type. Hopefully that mean also paring down my supplies lol.

Michelle Hernandez said...

I'll back up everything you said here- it sounds like a great resolution! I would LOVE a garden and a goat- and some chickens. I will be increasing the amount of pages I scrap book- not sure where they will go but I just like the process. I'll second you on project life- it does sound very overwhelming but I will try it anyway. I'm hoping that it will be easy by just concentrating on the photos and making very simple pages without all the kits and binders other people seem to be getting. I love reading this blog- it's like a window at the life I want. ;)