October 7, 2010

'K' Birthday Pillow


My little niece turned 5 this week and will be celebrating her birthday this coming weekend. She since has enough clothes and toys for 3 or 4 kids, I decided to be the un-fun aunt and get her something educational - a big book of classic fairytales. To go along with it and to make reading a little more fun, I also made her a decorative pillow to go on her bed and to snuggle with.


First I pinned on the letter K and used an applique stitch to attach it. In hindsight, it would have worked better to use fusible interfacing. Then added the patchwork squares and hand quilted around the letter K and the outside of the pillow with embroidery thread. (The blue thread was machine stitched).


It was so fun to make and turned out so cute, I may just make one for every kid I know!

8 comments:

Lauren said...

Adorable pillow! I am sure your niece will love it!

Jessica said...

Great pillow! What a nice gift. I need to try & make one myself...one of these days! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

She'll love it!! It's so fun!

Anonymous said...

How did you stitch it with big stitching? It's a beautiful pillow. I'm just learning DIY and would be interested in learning on how to make something like this?

ArlaMo said...

Love the pillow - I think that makes you the fun Aunt!

Sabr said...

Anonymous - The big stitching was done with 6 embroidery threads and a needle, by hand. I'm sure if you had a sewing machine with embroidery capabilities, it could do it for you.

Gloria said...

What a great gift, I´m sure she´s going to love it!! I also love the black stitching, it gives it a fun playful look. Great job.TFS

Sasha Holloway said...

seriously AWESOME