This Anda dress was made following Grosgrain's Frock by Friday. Bless her heart for taking the time to help the sewing challenged but determined like me put together a pretty dress and read a pattern.
The dress is quite simple and modest, and because I am still inept at altering a pattern, I decided to use a really gorgeous fabric to give some extra interest to the shape. Am so in love with the stormy, moody colors and layered wings on this cotton voile from Alexander Henry. It reminds me of the wing pattern on the Wood Nymph butterfly - hence the title.
I always make a test model to avoid making a mistake on my favorite fabrics. The second time around, I added the bias tape to the arms after the shoulders were together. Also added the band with elastic to the outside of the dress to break up the block of fabric a bit - that way I have the option of adding a belt or not.
Because of a traumatizing experience in my early days of sewing and because the material is a bit sheer, I decided to use a french seam on the dress seams. I was in college and had made a pretty tweed skirt with a big ruffle in the front. Really didn't know much about sewing but got it together and I loved how it looked so decided show it off at school. Well thankfully I had worn a long coat that day cause when I sat down in my cafeteria chair the whole rear end of the skirt ripped out. And those weren't my days of full coverage underpants either. Amazingly it many years later I finally found out a loose zig zag seam doesn't really hold a garment together.
Am so glad to have a tall, leggy, photogenic friend to model for me. Getting just a few pictures taken is really quite a challenge when you have 5 young children running around trying to get out the door and in on the action. Thanks Meghan for taking some time out of your busy day and for being so lovely.